For 8-10 persons:
- 2 bottles of redwine
- 1 bottle of port
- ¼ bottle brandy or rum
- 250 g dried currants (normally raisins but I prefer (Danish): korender, (German): Korinthen (MUST be organic)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 cloves
- 8 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- If you like your glögg extra spicy, add 10 black peppercorns
- If you like a slight licorice note, add 4 star anise as well
- 1 knob of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- The peel of 1 lemon
- The peel of two oranges
- 150 g chopped almonds
- Sugar to taste, but remember that the port and the raisins/currants are sweet
Please note that at least all dried fruit must be organic. Otherwise it is treated with some kind of wax (among many other toxins) which really does not work in hot wine.
Mix the port, vanilla, peels and spices and leave to infuse for at least 24 hours. Will keep longer in a well-sealed container in the fridge. For convenience, place the peels and spices (which need to be discarded before serving) in a gauze bag or a tea filter bag.
Mix the brandy/rum with the raisins and leave for at least 24 hours. Can obviously keep longer.
Heat all ingredients gently in a heavy-bottomed pot, making sure it does not boil. Serve piping hot in mugs or glasses, with a spoon for the raisins and almonds.