Jerusalem artichoke soup
- 400g Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed clean
- 2 tblsp olive oil, or half butter, half olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Optional: Fresh chili or a dollop of your favourite chili sauce
- 4 tblsp hazelnuts, toasted and ground
- 2 tblsp sherry, marsala or apple juice
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 600 ml warmed-up stock
- Optional: 2 tblsp cream
Heat the oil in a wide-bottomed pan and reduce to medium heat. Add the onion and cook slowly for about 20 minutes till they are golden.
Slice jerusalem artichokes thinly and add them to the onions.
Add the garlic and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the jerusalem artichokes are really soft.
Add hazelnuts and sherry, then thyme leaves and stock.
Blend till smooth, reheat, add cream if you like.